Question:
What are some tips for people trying to quit smoking?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
What are some tips for people trying to quit smoking?
187 answers:
Misty Blue
2012-11-12 13:03:46 UTC
Sipping water through a straw is said to help replace the 'action' of smoking.

Nothing beats cold turkey.Worked for me.

Alan Carr's book about giving up cigarettes covers the reasoning why we become addicted and thousands have found it to be the inspiration they need to turn their back on the dreaded weed.My son succeeded with the help of Carr's book.
kert
2012-11-12 13:32:57 UTC
Water, ice cold, lots of it. Activity even just a brisk walk or go outside and stand around. A pencile in your hand (something to occupy your fingers). If you fail the first time you really didn't fail unless you don't try again. Do things like don't smoke in the car, at the table, watching TV, big one when you first wake up. If you must have one take a shower first. It isn't just breaking the physical addiction it's breaking the habbits of when you smoke. Go to only smoking outside your house. If you have a smoke you have to get up and go outside. Then you have to stand there while your smoking, this works for some people in the winter because they don't want to be cold just to have a smoke.

Good luck remember it isn't just for your health but the loved ones around you. According to the chief medical officer of the American Lung Association, Norman Edelman, your lungs begin to heal themselves almost immediately after you quit smoking.
2012-11-12 13:29:10 UTC
I *stopped* (a smoker never actually "quits") cold turkey on 1/8/2008. Cravings never returned. Figured I had better things to spend my money on.
Mad Dog
2012-11-12 13:09:23 UTC
Cold turkey. It's going to be one pretty FRUSTRATING process, but it's not impossible neither.
kenny r
2012-11-12 13:27:41 UTC
most of them say cold turkey but for some people it is not that easy, I suggest you continue with the e-ciggs and see how it works. It worked for my brother. He quit for 6 months but then he started again, another one of my friends hasnt smokes in three years however he continues to use e-ciggs
?
2012-11-12 14:10:40 UTC
With smoking, there is a mental addiction and a physical addiction.

The mental addiction usually comes from how you perceive cigarettes and the reason behind why you smoke.

If you believe cigarettes make you happy and relieve stress* then any time you feel upset or slightly stressed you will in turn think about cigarettes and want one.

(Nicotine is actually a stimulant and can cause you to become more stressed.)

Saying things such as "I need a cigarette" is also bad because you don't "need" a cigarette but you want one. Saying things like this only makes giving up harder in itself as you make yourself believe you can't go without one.

Having a clear definitive reason for legitimately giving up is also useful;

Such as cancer, organ failure etc,

The amount of money cigarettes cost you which you could be saving,

The annoyance of cravings when you need one but can't have one

or other health issues such as; pregnancy, wrinkles, ageing, yellow stained teeth etc.

If you just say with the attitude of "Because I don't want to" more than likely you will keep smoking.

Removing anything that reminds you of cigarettes (paraphernalia) around you such as, Ashtrays, cigarette packets, and lighters... can help to not remind you of cigarettes and smoking. Which should reduce your cravings. It's like the opposite of looking at someone smoking and wanting to smoke.

Also, some people are habitual about the times they smoke. They will want a cigarette around a certain time of the day because they've made this a routine. This can either be mental or sometimes physical. (which I'll get to in a second)

Then you have the physical addiction.

Dopamine is a chemical in our brain which when released can give us the feeling of pleasure.

Nicotine in cigarettes, triggers the release of dopamine.

Our brain is used to a certain amount of this chemical and as we smoke and release this chemical, our "normal levels" of this chemical go up.

As these levels go up, you will want more cigarettes to equal out these levels.

It is only when these levels drop below "normal" that our brain feels we need it and in effect, cause you to have cravings.

When these levels drop a lot and our "normal levels" go down, you will experience withdrawal symptoms.

(Some people may notice that they can go awhile without smoking, but when they do smoke again, they will smoke a lot more than they usually would. This is the reason why. Your brain is trying to raise these levels to what they are used to.)

And this is also the main reason as to why people need to cut down on how much they smoke. So they slowly reduce these "normal levels" of dopamine and stop withdrawal symptoms.

As for giving up there is plenty you can do.

-Cut down on how much nicotine you have a day e.g. going from 6 to 5 to 4 etc.

-Removing anything that may remind you of smoking.

-Know why you smoke and give yourself legitimate reasons to stop.

and remember that with smoking, you have a choice.

-Keep busy when you get a craving and persevere.

(Or substitute for something such as tea, although tea contains caffeine.)

-Get cigarettes out of your routine.

-Buy less, e.g. buy 10 instead of 20 to make them last you and do not buy more in that day/s

-Do not smoke for the sake of smoking or time wasting, pre-occupy yourself with your phone or something else around you.

-Stay away from smoking areas, or going outside when someone else is (to smoke)

-Say no and feel happy doing so, when or if you are offered a cigarette.

The idea is to cut down, forget, and avoid cigarettes until you are accustomed to going without and your levels are normal.

People who smoke the e-cigarettes are at no more risk to becoming more addicted or giving up than anyone smoking normal cigarettes. Except, it doesn't contain all the chemicals and risk of death that normal cigarettes contain. Will power and wanting to are key.
Steven
2012-11-12 13:27:07 UTC
I used a pill called CHAMPIX, it's available on prescription in the uk. You start on a half dose to allow your body adapts then up to the full dose. its about a 6 week course. thats been a year and a half i've been off them.
strangerdanger
2012-11-13 06:18:22 UTC
replace with a new healthier addiction. It took me about 2 new hobbies and 3 other addictions to quit but i did it so
Crystal
2012-11-13 10:44:58 UTC
How the **** can you get addicted to something so gross, SMOKE WEED
2012-11-12 13:40:48 UTC
E-cigarettes (and lozenges and patches and gum) do not break the nicotine addiction, which is very powerful. They are also expensive. In my view, you need to quit cold turkey, as I did, instead of draw the process out with other items that deliver nicotine.

Some things that helped me:

1. Without at first intending to quit, I had cut down to around half of my usual consumption of cigarettes for about three weeks, owing to a minor medical issue that I thought smoking might be aggravating. The fact that I did this more easily than I would have expected is what led me to decide to quit altogether. However, because I'd somewhat reduced my dependence on nicotine during those three weeks probably made going cold turkey easier than it would otherwise have been.

2. Tic tac breath mints. I sucked on these for over a year, a lot of them each day. They involve less than two calories per mint, so they can also help you avoid substituting food for nicotine. I didn't gain a pound, and I think I owe that to the tic tacs.

3. Sucking and chewing on a plastic straw. I kept straws everywhere. As another poster suggests, sipping water through a straw could also be useful.

4. When I told my doctor I was going to try to quit, she offered me about two weeks worth of Xanax to get me over the initial hump. I accepted that offer but didn't end up taking much of it. What was most helpful was simply knowing that the Xanax was there if I needed it. That very fact, I think, kept me from becoming so anxious that I DID need it. I am suspicious of other drugs that purport to help you quit -- some are just anti-depressants under another name, and they've been associated with some very problematic side effects -- but something specifically for anxiety really could help you.

5. Daily exercise. I took long brisk walks every day. You might find another form of exercise more enjoyable.

I quit after smoking very seriously for over 30 years, and I am still amazed that I am now a non-smoker. Believe me, if I could do it, anyone can. Bear in mind that the desire for nicotine will always be there, but it will diminish hugely after a while. (It took about a year for me to start feeling that not smoking was normal, for the cravings to become fairly minor background noise.) You CAN do this. I promise you.
?
2016-02-23 01:13:42 UTC
I stopped after 25 years of smoking up to 4 packs a day. That was over 20 years ago. A guy on the local news had a program giving suggestions and I followed them, and in 30 days I was a non-smoker, and it wasn't so bad. 1. Have a plan, of when you are going to smoke. Set a date, and be prepared to do what it takes. 2. Change your habits for the times you usually smoked. I ALWAYS smoked after eating dinner, I changed and went outside and watered trees. 3. I did not use the patch, as that isn't much better than cutting back on your cigarettes, which doesn't work at all for more people. You simply won't ever stop completely, and will increase back up later, so why go through the hassle. Good luck, I hope you can stop, you'll never be sorry you did; although if you are like me, I still reach for a cig sometimes when I'm under stress, but I really am not tempted to smoke again. Thanks to the hassle of stopping, that makes you think twice before you want to start up again. ** oh, I treated myself to nice things with the money I saved, also. After 6 months was the first really nice car I ever had (a Caprice), but then after that I had Cads from then on. The payments were less than the cigarette bill.
?
2012-11-12 18:41:20 UTC
Smoking, don't get me started.

Anyway. important is that you WANT to quit smoking. Many smokers have tried multiple times but were caught out by the cravings that are part of going cold turkey. So, my way? Before quitting, I did some homework. I found out how nicotine works, that it actually mimics substances that naturally occur in your body, one of which is dopamine. Nicotine never comes all alone, as the delivery process (introducing nicotine into your body, smoking that is) involves a number of toxic substances too, which, over time, may cause all those health problems they promise you on those cigarette pachets. Nicotine skips a couple of stages of the processes that are needed to feel good. In fact, it's a shortcut, like other drugs, to a certain state that people want to be in.

So when you stop smoking, and no more nicotine is made available to your brain, the dopamine pathways in your grey matter come under tension. Cravings. And you can make it stop in two ways; you can light up, and you'll feel much better, and you'll feel much happier, and everything is alright although you'll have to keep smoking for the rest of your life, or you can stop for a while, think, and understand that this is only temporary. It WILL pass. It's a matter of time, and a matter of persistence. Easy. If it gets hard, I understand, everyone understands, for some it's not easy, but before you light up again, remind yourself of the goal you set yourself.

In my case, the cravings didn't last any longer than half a day, because I understood what was going on and could rationalize things. I never smoked another cigarette, and although I have some colleagues who are smokers, I did not turn into a militant anti-smoker. To each his own.

Smoking is a choice, and I choose not to smoke.
2012-11-12 15:53:17 UTC
Like I lot I went cold turkey and took some good advice I'd read somewhere, keep a jar - a big jar, something like a sweet shop jar and every day you don't smoke put the amount of money into that jar that you would have spent on cigarettes, I've been going 4 months nearly now and can safely say that I'm quit - doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore. To date that jar has nearly £900 in it, not bad considering it's money I used to burn whilst slowly killing myself, a quick calculation shows that once I've been quit a year it'll have £2701 in it, that's not an amount of money to be sniffed at and I'll take the lot and blow it on something really stupid, why not, it's money I would never have had - cash is a really good motivator.

Little fact for people which some might find interesting, the physical chemical addiction to nicotine lasts 4 days, beyond that it's all in the mind, keep this in mind as you try to get through that first couple of weeks (these will undoubtedly be the toughest times). As for e-cigs, forget it, you're still pumping nicotine into your system and you'll likely end up addicted to that, same goes for the vile tasting chewing gums - and they are generally more expensive than cigarettes.

All this advice is all well and good but at the end of the day it comes down to one basic principle - you have to want to and be totally committed to quiting otherwise you're wasting your time, the strongest thing in peoples armoury is willpower and if you are to quit you'll be needing plenty of it, it's not easy - no-one will try and tell you that it is but with willpower, determination and a healthy dose of backbone it can be done.
old lady
2012-11-12 20:27:51 UTC
Substituting one habit for another doesn't work in the long run. I know, I tried substituting jelly beans for cigarettes the first time I tried quitting. I gained 20 pounds. The second time was no better, nor the third. Finally I twigged to something that really worked - getting up and going for a walk. Just walking around the block or even around the house, but getting up and getting moving was the key to quitting. It's been over 30 years since I had my last cigarette, and I was a two-pack a day smoker for a lot of years before I quite.

Hope this helps someone else.
Camera R
2012-11-12 18:03:26 UTC
No no no no. E-cigs are just going to continue feeding your nicotine addiction. You need to get the nicotine out of your system. Some say cold turkey, but gradual withdrawal can work also. I smoked thirty years and quit 6 years ago. Went through Walmart one day and saw that the patches were on sale. Decided to try them, using decreasing dosages per every other week as recommended. When I got close to zero, augmented it with lollipops for the physical habit. Then switched to sunflower seeds. Careful with those sunflower seeds though as they seemed to be also addictive (not kidding). Had a hard time getting off of them too (what up wid dat? Must be the salt.).

You will stumble a little. But remember each time when you get those inevitable urges to smoke again, curse the damn things for being that addictive, and remember how hard it was to get where you currently are.

By the way, since quitting I'm in much better shape than I've ever been, even as a young man. Took up walking and hiking, and climbed a mountain yesterday (no kidding). When you quit, remember also to take advantage of your improved health, as you will notice an improvement.
QuakerMaid
2012-11-12 14:34:21 UTC
Every time I quit, it was cold turkey. Never had cravings. I would quit for a few years, then start up again, not b/c I craved them, just b/c I was bored.

I quit cold every time I was pregnant, as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Had no probs.

I quit once when I got a new job. Quit for 4 years--just to busy on the job to be able to grab a cig.

I quit for about 3 years once when I moved.

I think a lot of it depends on how MUCH one smokes. I only smoke less than half a pack a day, so quitting is a lot easier for me.

I smoke now. I tried quitting about a year ago, but my brain went crazy! It was racing, I couldn't sit still, I couldn't remember what I was doing, I'd be walking quickly around the house trying to do 10 things at once. Basically, I was getting on everyone's nerves--including my own. I didn't crave the cigs, I just couldn't handle my brain being the way it was (I had never had that reaction any other time I tried to quit smoking), so I started smoking again.

I guess I will continue smoking. It's really not that expensive. I buy the cheap 'Smoker's Choice' brand that costs only $15 a carton, which lasts me about a month. It's a heck of a lot less $$ than most people spend on fast food--which I do NOT eat.

Unless I have a big change in my life, like moving or getting a new job, I will continue smoking. I think for me I need something keeping me active & my mind on one thing to be able to quit without the problems with my mind racing.
?
2012-11-12 21:17:50 UTC
Electronic Cigarettes.
TRACY
2012-11-12 17:56:05 UTC
Allan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" .. another user already suggested it as well. I smoked for manyyyyy years (tried to quit several times) and when I read that book (he says to keep smoking while reading it) after Ellen said she used it to quit.. When I finished it I closed the book and never had a desire to smoke again. Not a teensy craving ever. That was over 10 years ago. No gum, patches, etc. It's not that hard to quit when you know exactly what to expect, stick it out, and the cravings will subside on their own and there will be no more nicotine in your body within 4 days. .. that's the physical part .. His advice in the book will take care of the psychological addiction. .. Try the book. It's cheaper than the gum, patches, or any e-butt. Good Luck!
Carlos S
2012-11-12 15:33:28 UTC
I was a smoker with a heavy habit, I would normally shoot thru 8-13 cigarettes per day. My motivation came from my wife & kids, I tried many ways to quit in the past, cold turkey, cutting down, switching to more harsh generic cigarettes but eventually I went back this is what worked for me. I need to get my self on a life insurance in case something happened to me my wife, home and kids were taken CAre of knowing that in order for me to take a life insurance on my self for 500,000 they would run blood and they would know i smoke which would have increased my policy, I decided to prepare to quit I knew that I would have to be clean for at least 30 days so it can leave my blood, as soon as i quit I joined the gym, removed all ashtray, cigarette buts, lighters from my home and car. I detailed my car to smell brand new when I got the crave to smoke I went for a sprint to the end of the block and back by the Time i got back i was so winded and thirsty smoking was the last of my worries. I've been clean for 8 months now after being a smoker for 14 yrs. Electronic cigarettes make you want to smoke the real ones. Hope it helps.
denbro08
2012-11-13 10:48:30 UTC
Just be strong. Don't let yourself be a weakling. Mind over matter.

I smoke cigs on and off for about 5 years now. Smoked 3 cigarettes yesterday at work, won't smoke til I work in 6 days, probably.

Essentially I only smoke at work. But I still have control. I refuse to let anything else control me. It's a tough mentality I have. Nothing will ever get to me.
2014-10-28 15:05:44 UTC
Some things that helped me:

Blue-Saints
2012-11-12 20:12:45 UTC
E-cigarette could only ward off temporary urge. After a while, you would crave for the real tobacco!

I would suggest play mind games with yourself by getting involved in sports and eating healthy. Most sport requires physical workout like running. Each time you run for a mile, you will realize how smoking kills you slowly. With that experience in your mind, you will think twice about buying your next pack. Another way is each time you think of buying a pack of cigarettes, put the smoking intended money into a piggy bank, instead of going to the nearest gas station. Try to distract yourself constantly and occupied your mind with other important stuff. Sometimes, chewing gum and sleeping it off might help!
Kasha
2012-11-12 18:15:40 UTC
Electronic Cigarettes are just another form of Nicotine Replacement Therapy, which we know doesn't work to help people quit - really e-cigs are an alternative to cigarettes, not a means to quit smoking.

EASYWAY is the easiest way to quit smoking and 90% effective.

http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com

Rather than tackling the chemical addiction - nicotine is highly addictive, but the withdraw is minimal - it tackles the mental addiction that has people thinking that they need to smoke to feel relaxed or leaves smokers craving cigarettes whenever they try to quit - thus Easyway is easy as there's no feeling deprived or withdrawal. It can take as little as a few hours to go from smoker to non-smoker.

I smoked 20 per day for 11 years.

I HATED smoking but just couldn't stop despite the fact I couldn't afford to smoke (I went so far as to walk miles with a pocket of pennies for cigarettes or even went through the bin to get cigarette butts) and I suffered health problems from smoking including serious chest infections and multiple minor-strokes.

To quit I tried;

- Cold Turkey (using most of the various tips and tricks mentioned here).

- Spray/mouthwash that made cigarettes taste horrible.

- NRT Patches.

- NRT Gum.

- NRT Lozenges.

- NRT Inhalator.

- NRT Tabs.

- Electronic cigarettes.

- Herbal cigarettes.

- Support groups.

- Cutting down.

- Zyban.

- Champix.

- Hypnosis.

All failed, the longest I went was 3 months and I was miserable the whole time.

I'm now a happy non-smoker - I have been for 2 1/2 years.

I tried the Easyway book after a lot of recommendations - it didn't work, but I knew it made sense and despite it not working for me it worked for everyone I recommended it to. I eventually decided to go to the Easyway clinic - I was only there 3-4 hours at most, and that's all it took to stop my smoking. After years of desperately trying to stop, I become a non-smoker after just a few hours.

Easyway requires no willpower what-so-ever, there are no cravings or withdrawal, no missing cigarettes, you don't feel deprived or stressed-out without a cigarette at all, it's far cheaper than any other method of smoking cessation, it's just really easy to quit using this method...it's the best thing I ever did and I HIGHLY recommend it.
Sadia
2014-09-16 20:15:13 UTC
Go to places where smoking is prohibited, libraries, shopping malls, etc. I hate to say this one, but avoid friends and even family members who smoke while you are just making your attempt. Try not to smoke even one, but if you do, forgive yourself, and go back to your quit. Put the money you would have spent on cigarettes in a jar. If you smoked a pack a day, you should have about $150 in your jar at the end of the month.Buy yourself a gift. None of what I have said is new. We all know these things. Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.
2012-11-12 17:32:45 UTC
Oh, I smoked for decades, tried EVERY product, tried support groups. None of them work. I memorized and used Mark Twain's quote: "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a thousand times."

But after 30+ years of smoking, I quit cold turkey and had almost no withdrawal symptoms (just a bit foggy headed for a few days). These are the components of how I quit:

1. I went on a 5-day drive through the mountains with a friend. We stopped for hikes, meals, bathrooms, and a bed at night. We did NOT stop to buy cigarettes.

2. Everytime I wanted a cigarette, I inwardly and firmly said, "I don't DO that anymore". And then I would take a suck of water from my water bottle (oral action, but also cleansing out my body).

That's about it.

But there is one more piece of background that helped.

I had been friends with a guy until he started doing heroin. I ran across him about 10 years later and he had a story to tell. He had become addicted to heroin, and every time he tried to quit the withdrawal symptoms were so awful that he was compelled to go out and get some more.

Finally, he put together 3 months' worth of camping supplies and had a friend drop him off in the wilderness of northern Alberta/Canada, with instructions to come back and pick him up in 3 months. This friend had absolutely NO withdrawal symptoms.

With his story in my pocket, I watched myself the next time I tried to quit smoking .. I saw that I would build up tension to the point where I felt like I was going to burst, and I would "have" to go buy some cigarettes. After several attempts to quit, watching this inner response, I decided to go on my own "trip into the wilderneess" .. not quite as isolated as this guy's trip. And definitely not for 3 months.

It worked.

Superbly.

I stopped and have not had a cigarette since that day in July, 2006.

Yes, I did have cravings. They never lasted longer than 60-90 seconds. You can stand the craving for 60-90 seconds, especially if you acknowledge it, tell it "No" ... "Tough" .. and then go do something else.

Gradually those cravings became further and further apart, weaker and weaker, and by about 6 months I realized one day that I was no longer having cravings anymore.
euphoric
2012-11-12 16:12:35 UTC
So I consider myself a personal success.

Smoked since I was 17 until I was 25. I quit cold turkey. I sat in a chair for a couple hours about this time of the year and told myself I was going to quit smoking. I dumped a girl friend, got off taking prescription pills and quit smoking cigarettes and pot, went on a diet and started working out all at the same time. Was a great feeling, however the smoking part was difficult.

My advice: First, don't wait until January 1st or some stupid date. If you're going to quit, just quit now. If you don't 'want' to then you're not going to. You have to 'want' to quit and have the balls to actually commit to quitting and knowing you won't be just 'smoking when you drink'. Done means done means done. Do not try to quit, fail try to quit, fail, just build mental integrity in your own words, if you mean it, you do. Don't surround yourself with people who smoke, and associate the thought of cigarettes to a gagging sense and it becomes easier to believe smoking doesn't feel good. Requires the understanding of mental conditioning for that to work.
?
2014-10-08 13:06:00 UTC
2012-11-13 04:03:09 UTC
Electronic cigarettes don't give you the same satisfaction of a real cigarette even though they claim to. I found them to be more of a waste of money.

By the way, E cigs aren't a quit smoking aid, they are an alternative, so you would still have the same amount of smokes per day.
Mr. Glute
2012-11-12 20:52:00 UTC
I had an aunt who recently died of lung and breast cancer, highly likely that at least the lung cancer was due to excessive smoking of nicotine (cigars and cigarettes). My sister (23) just escaped receiving the same fate by quitting. She cut back 1 cigarette a day, and made the others last longer. This tricked her mind into thinking she was smoking the same amount, and thus, caused her to gradually quit. This took her 5 weeks to quit (she had her uncontrollable lapses), but she is alive, healthy, and happy today.
Vashundha
2014-05-29 09:07:45 UTC
A.n.
2012-11-12 15:18:58 UTC
Depends on how you define 'quitting' - e-cigs won't help with the addiction or the habit.

Try and make quitting smoking as little about quitting smoking as possible. Remove it from your mind. Telling everyone you're quitting, throwing out lighters, buying nicotine patches and putting all the money you would've spent on cigarettes in a little jar all just serve as constant reminders that you're giving up that little hobby of yours. All these little reminders make you crave a cigarette.
?
2016-01-31 06:43:07 UTC
Discover How To Quit Smoking : http://Go.QuitSmokingMagics.com
Feivel
2012-11-12 16:57:24 UTC
I have a friend who tried those e-cigs and the filling is something that leaks. If it is the same one I am thinking of. I also have a friend who tried Chantix and it made him nearly go off the deep end.

One quit with the nicotine patch and the other gradually cut down his smokes until he was smoking only a few a day and then he said the hardest part was cutting out remaining ones he smoked. Both were finally successful.
2012-11-12 19:19:32 UTC
Even though I smoke, I find it easy to put it off and not think about it for years until I just feel like starting up.

It's all about will power. Just don't think about smoking and act as if you don't need it. Keep you're mind business.

I do have addiction so I know how it feels but smoke/drinking isn't one of them.

Probably finding a new addiction will help thats not really harmful.
2012-11-13 08:22:33 UTC
Yes the E-cigs are great for trying to quit..I used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day and with-in 1 week of getting my E-cig I had stopped smoking cigarettes.. and now 3 months on I still have my E-cig but the filter is well used up and it is just having the E-cig for to have in my hand and in my mouth whenever I feel a craving coming..My mother and my sisters partner have both used them as well to give up. So I would recommend them to anyone trying to give up
?
2016-01-30 01:50:59 UTC
100% Natural Quit Smoking Magic : http://Go.QuitSmokingMagics.com
Old nudist
2012-11-12 20:14:31 UTC
I smoked 1-1/2 packs a day for 46yrs. My dr got me on Zyban. I took 2 pills a day while smoking. Each day I smoked less until the 8th day I was smoke free. I haven't had a cigarette in 11yrs
?
2012-11-12 17:11:33 UTC
The only secret about quitting smoking, is that YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT!

Until you make that decision, it is the toughest thing in the world to do. I smoked from 13 to 34, all through teens and military service, and it wasn't until I felt sick just looking at the yellow stain on walls,, computers, microwaves... and the filth lying in ashtrays, wondering if my lungs looked any better that I realized I had enough. From there it was easier than I thought. I started saying, "No thanks, I don't USE them", and declined smokes from people. You don't put them down for smoking, You choose NOT to smoke. Every day you become more determined until there you are, all done!
help???
2012-11-13 07:46:25 UTC
To break that habit, visit your doctor, try the patches, and then realize it is a habit, whether yours or your body demanding those chemicals, and realize you can be strong enough to overcome it!

Try deep breathing, going to a door/window, several times a day, and do repetitious deep breathing is one solution I've heard many say worked, and I too felt it helped me. Put a lolly-pop in your mouth when you get the cravings, it has help many others also. then there is a fake cigarette that can be purchased, (even saw it on TV in a movie last week, one man asked the other if it worked, he said, ya, it really dose!) Do some reading up on WILL-POWER too, IT HAS BEEN proven conquer the mind, the whole body falls into place, (even if it takes a little longer of your efforts-time")
credo quia est absurdum
2012-11-13 05:38:03 UTC
I have a friend who is attempting to stop tobacco by using one of these "electronic" cigarettes. She is using more of the nicotine cartridges (which I think equal a pack each) per day than she was using tobacco cigarettes.

More nicotine per day but a lot less of the tars and other flavorings that the tobacco companies add to increase the chance of addiction to their product.

More costly, ***maybe*** less harmful and at least no side-stream smoke for others to breathe.
nabi41
2012-11-13 08:23:11 UTC
To quit smoking is difficult unless you have strong will force. Smoking is dangerous. The phrase is well known to all but question is, how dangerous it is ! Watch video clip of most serious condition of affected area by smoking.Nobody show any proof of a single positive side of smoking. Think all these and create your will force to quit it immediately.
?
2012-11-12 14:50:31 UTC
I have a few tips to give:

You could write a card of things you like about not smoking (advantages) not disadvantages as this has a negative effect on your brain. And look at it everytime you have a temptation

If you have kids take a picture of you and them as a family and print it off, write on it advantages for you and your family as a result of not smoking. Look at it every time you feel a temptation this gives you motivation to help someone else and relise the good you are doing

Grab a packet of mikado sticks and twiddle those in your hand and mouth (don't eat to many though!)

Try to decrease stressful situations as this will have an impact on your need to smoke

Find something you love doing like a sport and do that. And everytime you feel the need to have a. Cigarette do this thing you love to take your mind off it.

Get an empty and old jam jar and fill it with the money you would use for cigarettes and get someone in your family to hide it then every time you go to use money to buy cigarettes give it to a family member and then they will put it in the jar. At the end of say 6 months to a year of sucsessfull money saving count it up and use it for a holiday with your kids, friends or partner or family member. Or even a spa trip by yourself.

Give your purse of money to your partner to keep and don't let them give you money for cigarettes. Don't try this until you have successfully quit for several months as if you don't it may cause a negative impact on you and your partner.

Carry pictures around in your pocket of decayed teeth and tarred lungs and look at think every time you smoke.

Get your friend or family member to do something disgusting or awful (not harmful) as you are smoking . Get them to do it every time you have a cigarette. In your mouth this means youl think of the horrible act with smoking and won't want to do it anymore as it disgusts you.

Visit someone who sufferes from lung failure or other diesease caused by smoking this will emotionally encourage you not to smoke as it will make you think of your life if you carry on

These are just a few ask me questions in the comment section on the question at the top of you have any questions on how I can help further xx
pennybarr
2012-11-12 14:32:59 UTC
Quoting Mark Twain "It is easy to quit smoking, I've done it hundreds of times" and so did I. Those Electronic cigarettes might work but I never tried them. The patches were working until I broke out in hives all over. The gum tasted awful. Zyban gave me anxiety attacks. Hypnotism worked once, but also make me terribly depressed. The next two times, I lit up as soon as I left the Hypnotist's office. Name it, I tried it for over 30 years.

Then I heard about Chantix on the TV News. In June or July of 2006, the FDA approved Chantix. I started using it in August. Note: this was before they said it could cause one to commit suicide. I never did feel like committing suicide though I must admit the 100 thousand times I tried to quit prior to this, I did feel like killing myself. The Chantix did make me feel nauseous, also not a known side effect in Aug. 2006, but it worked. I haven't had a cigarette in 6.5 years and the cravings were not bad, even at the beginning. Now after 6 1/2 years, smoking a cigarette is just an occasional fleeting thought after an exceptionally grand meal.
Beachbum
2012-11-12 14:16:55 UTC
One would think that learning how to quit smoking would make a man rich.. but it doesn't, instead it teaches the man a few things about humanity..

For instance that many people don't really want to quit and that learning how to quit smoking is something nobody would pay a dollar for.

People will gladly spend money for a dream, for a magic pill that'll make them healthy, slim, clever etc and who cares if the day after they wake up and nothing has changed.. they had their dream.

I was a slave to the tobacco plant for 30 years.. then I finally "learned" how to quit.

Yes, you are right in saying that it is a hard and long process, but so is a 2000 miles cycle ride, is it not?

And still, each day 5 miles to the seaside and five miles back.. by being a beach bum all summer I did my 2000 miles on my pedal cycle and lost these 30 kgs that I still had on me from the last time that I hammered the tobacco plant vice into submission :)

One tip I can give would be that it doesn't matter if one day you succumb to the plant and light up a cigarette or ten. Go ahead and light up.

You have lost a battle not the war. Losing that battle only means throwing away the previous 12 (or so) days. Big deal.

So now for the next 12 days you have nicotine in you which will fuel those cravings.. but 12 days will pass and those cravings will also go.

After these 12 days, the (tobacco) plant in you will become weaker. Yes you will have the cravings but time them with a watch, they never last more than 3 minutes at the time.. they *seem* like you'll have them your whole life but they are short lived, no longer than 3 minutes.

What are 3 minutes when you KNOW it is only 3 minutes and then you'll be free again. The plant is losing the war.

edit:

I spotted a few tidbits of knowledge from fellow ex smokers who beat the plant *knowing what they were doing, rather than the blindfolded cold turkey brute force way*:

"I still appreciate the scent"

"a smoker never actually "quits"

I also appreciate the scent, I didn't get out of it by some miracle and so the plant is harmless to me now, you can blow it into my face if you want.

I am however fully aware that I will ALWAYS be addicted, so unless I want to restart the whole quitting process, nicotine is banned from my body as I know that that one puff will wake the sleeping monster.

edit2:

"Unless I have a big change in my life, like moving or getting a new job, I will continue smoking."

yeah a big change might be on the cards eventually, lung cancer, heart attack, coronary failure. And what's funny it'll likely come from what's on the paper to keep cigarette alight, (those little rings around the ciggy) not on nicotine itself.
2012-11-13 11:33:14 UTC
When I decided to quit smoking, I called my States' free Cancer Society 800 number. I believe each State has a toll free Cancer Society telephone number. Next I entered my name and address into my States' quit smoking Cancer Society list of people attempting to quit smoking, and they sent me a free packet, advising a plan to attain my goal. In the packet was a free cassette tape, and I was instructed to play the audio tape whenever I felt myself weakening to the point where I could have conceivably lit up a cigarette again. I am certain the audio tape, did a lot to reinforce my subliminal impetus emotionally, to actually not ever smoke again. I would advise anyone interested in not smoking to call their State's toll free American Cancer Society telephone number, to request a "Quit Smoking Packet". Listening to the audio tape really helped me a lot when I initially quit, and I am certain it will help others with their own quest to stop smoking. I now am proud to relate that I've been free of all tobacco for 20 years, with no desire to ever smoke again. One relationship book I read, stated; "People that are addicted to smoking are into self abuse, saying to themselves and others, I do not like myself". I can relate to that wise analogy, and I like myself too much to abuse myself by smoking anymore. Making up ones mind, is by far the most important thing an individual can do to quit cigarettes & I am living proof that stopping smoking, cold turkey, can be done.
?
2012-11-12 16:14:30 UTC
In my opinion any type of Cigarette (e-cigs), nicotine flavored bubblegum, light tobacco or any...any thing could help us to quit smoking when we strongly decided to not to smoke...first we should have to believe on our selves that yes! we can do it...we should recognize our will power, our inner strength....Actually all these outer helps are like medicines which can cure a patient when the patient wants to be cured himself...otherwise the medicines don't affect on him...Quit smoking is just like a sickness...so I believe personally that first we have to be mentally prepared to quit it...then use e-cigs like things though it could really help us to stop smoking.
Color of the Sun
2012-11-13 08:41:02 UTC
In Sweden, for generations, there has been a product called Snus (SWEDISH snus) that plays a key roll in it's very impressive anti-smoking strategy. It is used as a very pleasant smoking/nicotine cessation aid or as a dramatically safer smoking alternative. Apparently, Sweden is the only country that has met WHO's goal of reducing the prevalence of smoking to less than 20% of the population

The following well-sourced document on the World Health Organization's site explores SWEDISH (i.e NOT American) Snus in detail, showing how safe it is. The document does address the issue of cancer risk, which may eliminate qualms about using the product. Yes, Swedish Snus was banned by the EU, but the document addresses the decision, which was based on a misconception about the health risks at the time the law was passed:

http://www.who.int/tobacco/framework/public_hearings/swedish_match_ab.pdf

~

I'm aware of the fact that the American tobacco industry has recently started to produce its own version of Snus. As far as I know, we do not know if it is produced using the same careful methods used by the Swedish Match company (under significant government regulation) that handles a bulk of Swedish Snus production on Sweden. From my research on-line, it looks like the Snus-using community is partial to Swedish Snus. Luckily, Swedish Match has entered the American market, so those who have not had good experiences with the American copy of Snus can enjoy the great variety and time-proven quality of Swedish Snus.

Cost wise, one should not expect to pay more than about 2.5-5 USD for a can of portioned Swedish Snus, which gains you about about 2 dozen portions or more, depending on the product. They do sell it loose for those who want to hand make portions. Loose seems to be generally cheaper, often getting you twice as much Swedish Snus for the cost of portions.The price will be dependent on where you purchase Swedish Snus, so it pays to shop around. Swedish Snus can apparently be purchased online and shipped, so that opens many possibilities.

Again, with the variety offered by Swedish Snus companies, you have the choice of many flavors, nicotine levels, portion types (for flavor duration and intensity ) and portion formats (e.g. mini portions, for those you want to use Swedish Snus discretely anywhere). This variety dwarfs the American offerings.

~

The obvious fault with using Snus for smoking cessation that many may overlook is the user. Nicotine is still a dangerous drug and some people do lack the resolve to quit, often becoming dual users that smoke and use Snus.

Personally, SWEDISH Snus has reduced my smoking frequency, but I have no intention to quit smoking just yet. I've amassed many fine cigars that I'd like to enjoy occasionally until they're or until I can gift them away :) I am willing to take the risk.
Nashvegas
2012-11-13 09:24:02 UTC
Never tried electronic cigarettes but I chewed the nicotine gum for 6 months. I know you're only supposed to chew it for about 3 months but it took me 6 months. I also had to quit drinking the occasional beer or mixed drink for awhile because it was always a trigger to smoke.
2012-11-13 09:43:23 UTC
Quit your job and troll on this site all day and all night long. That way you have no money for cigarettes and still have entertainment. Plus side: you make lots of friends on this site.

Of course, never starting to begin with, is also a good idea. Just saying...
2012-11-13 11:14:35 UTC
Find their house, look through their drawers, then find the tobacco products you desire, then finally smoke all of them. DON'T WASTE THEM! The responsible thing is to smoke them all! That will cause them to realize that they are out and they will buy some more and more until the just consider to stop. There you go!
0NE TRlCK P0NY
2012-11-12 16:39:32 UTC
E-CIGARETTES have really cheap battery technology and have been known to blow up in the users face with disasterous effects to the user. You'd be better off chewing on a #2 pencil.

Wanna quit; just stop buying cigarettes and go cold turkey.
2012-11-13 10:48:49 UTC
It's never going to be easy.

Ignore the idiots who will try to get you to give up your attempt.

Use any aid you think will help, the main one being WILL POWER.

It took me two years to get over the craving, I had no artificial aids, smoked 50 a day but with will power alone, I DID stop over 36 years ago.

I never preach to anybody about stopping smoking but would wholeheartedly encourage them to.

Good luck to anyone who abandons peer pressure and makes a genuine effort to stop smoking.
2014-05-29 07:54:07 UTC
2012-11-12 17:46:56 UTC
Well I have been through the same process, I started of with some Patches, but over here in England you can get FREE help from some places and they give you free patches, so they give me these but they like start you on high patches, then medium, then small. But you also need to have will power, in the end it is only you that can do it.
2012-11-13 10:57:44 UTC
My dad gave up smoking when I was really little and he told me he used to buy a packet of chewy sweets (called milky moos in Ireland, theyre gorgeous) and everytime he got a craving, he chewed on one. These are extra tough sweets that really took your mind off it! Hes now smoke free for the past 18 years!
?
2012-11-12 21:08:24 UTC
They can use electronic cigarettes or nicotine gum or nicotine patch in substitute for real cigarettes . Then hopefully quit.
Miranda
2012-11-12 19:18:59 UTC
A few things, drink water when the craving hits, take deep breaths to help get you through some of the anxiety, and go for a little walk just to release energy.
Stephen
2012-11-12 23:36:20 UTC
Well this is the way I did it. I switched from cigarettes to dip or chew. Once my gums started receding I freaked out and quit.
2012-11-13 09:55:18 UTC
Would you pay someone to kill you?? No?! Well then why smoke?! You are spending an average of £1,603 each year on cigarettes which end up killing you! What is the point?! Especially when people value life and others are fighting to keep theirs!! Think about those poor children that don't have any food that are starving and fighting against diseases. Think about those with terminal diseases. Think about those who have been injured. Think about those who have been murdered. Think about those who have been in fires. Think about those who love you. Are you really silly enough to waste your life??
Tina
2012-11-13 09:13:53 UTC
Yoga classes. The breathing and stretching make you feel healthier so you won't want to smoke. It's also calming, which reduces cravings.
SuPerFly
2012-11-12 15:22:43 UTC
Electronic Cigarettes, they are are just as good and even better than that, they make you quit after you've had one. They're never quite the same.
motherpeanutbutterbutinsky
2012-11-13 10:20:42 UTC
Drink water to cleanse your system. Chew refreshing gum or mints for a pleasant substitution sensation. Keep trying and do not give up.
?
2012-11-12 16:32:12 UTC
Assign a close friend or family member to be your outside consultant. He or she will have the duty to write incriminating messages on your cigarettes (e.g. smoking kills, smoking does not relieve stress, or smoking is for losers). When you have the urger to smoke, you'll take out your cigarette, and you'll feel embarrassed, and you'll put it away.
Ti
2012-11-12 17:23:30 UTC
The Absolute Best Way to Quit Smoking is YOGA! The amount of breathing required is unmeasurable and You will be reborn as if you never smoked in your entire life! That's How I did it and I AM PROUD!

it will clear your mind forever!

I started from beginners level and now I am at Advanced level after 18 months! I quit smoking on the first month of Yoga because of so much breathing I lost the nerve to smoke! AND I AM NEVER GOING BACK!
No
2012-11-12 14:30:13 UTC
Aside from the obvious, gum, patch, etc. Try eating sunflower seeds when you get the urge to smoke. I did this and it worked. The sunflower seeds caused me to have a dry mouth so smoking wasn't very appealing
sweets
2012-11-12 13:56:44 UTC
Accept there will be a few attempts before success. Rest assured one can truly achieve success when invested spiritually , when ready to own the success and when the desire truly comes from within to quit.

I also took measure of dollars spent and time spent finding a place to smoke. I still appreciate the scent as I walk past but it is ever so fleeting.
2012-11-12 14:48:13 UTC
Will power is all you need, electronic cigarettes, nicotine patches and gum are all a waste of money that are targeted towards gullible people
?
2012-11-12 18:02:55 UTC
cut down or eleminate caffiene products ..these cause you to want to smoke

also alcohol consumption should be eleminated when first trying to stop smoking

avoid stressfull situations?

enough said

get into a program like SMOKE ENDERS sponsored by the Seventh Day Advantast Church
?
2012-11-12 14:21:28 UTC
I was a ciggie addict for 30 years - never really tried to pack it in but as times are hard I decided it had to go - I contacted my GP and joined our local smoking cessation clinic, thinking negatively that I would never succeed (brainwashing by ciggie companies - addicted forever...) I went onto Champix and never had any cravings for cigs after that - been cig free for over 5 months, never think about them and will never smoke again - EASY AS!!!! try Champix - ace for me as it isn't nicotine replacement, it just really stops those cravings.....
chaxu
2012-11-12 23:06:38 UTC
Print some photos of your family into your cigarette and add text: Dad, Do you want see me tomorrow ?
Rodney D
2012-11-13 06:15:33 UTC
get rid of everything that says cig, or look like a cigarette, or reminds you of a cigarette, your other half smokes tell them to start going out side, if they say no, then you go, master you surroundings then you can beat the devils cancer stick
Eric R
2012-11-12 15:46:08 UTC
For my Dad, he simply needed to CHOOSE to quit.

He chose to quit after realizing that he smoked the equivalent of $30,000 worth of cigarettes since he was 16. (He quit around 42)

It was hard for him, but he has been smoke free since.
2012-11-12 19:34:32 UTC
Making the person research/realize the negative things smoking can do to you.
j034nn3
2012-11-12 17:12:02 UTC
Watching my mum die of lung cancer was enough to put me off smoking. I had already quit about 6 months before she was diagnosed but I know I will never ever smoke again - its just not worth it!
Tyler
2012-11-12 14:00:54 UTC
A lot of self control and perseverance is the only true way to quite smoking.
James
2012-11-13 10:53:04 UTC
If opportunity happens. Spend a month or more in a Muslim area. There it is quit or loose your head.
?
2012-11-13 07:09:46 UTC
I was a two-pack a day smoker back in the old days. I finally decided to quit when my (then) three-year old son crawled up on my lap one night and said "Daddy, your cigarette smoke hurts my lungs"

That was the last cigarette I smoked in my own house, or in the car when the kids were there.

After that, I started to pay attention to where and when I smoked, and since smoking is a learned habit, I tried to avoid those situations where I was exposed to others who were smoking. At that time, smoking was still allowed in my office, so I spent more time away from the office. I also quit going to bars and other places where people smoked so I could keep my exposure down.

Eventually, I got to the point where I didn't "NEED" to smoke, and on a 3-day holiday weekend at home, I realized that if I could go 3 days without a cigarette, I could go longer. That was 25 years ago, and I haven't smoked since.
Leda
2012-11-13 05:51:28 UTC
I kept telling my self I had just finished the last cigarette. Or say to yourself, 'I am sure I can wait a few minutes longer'. Keep repeating this. And keep busy in the meantime. You will notice that you tend to forget the cigarette for much longer than a few minutes. Also avoid shopping where cigarettes are sold as much as possible, or even friends who smoke. In the meantime occupy yourself with whatever you normally do. Go on repeating the exercise. Persevere. I did it.
2012-11-13 07:30:33 UTC
1.We should to support for good job

1. we should to Proctor our life

3. save for life
kjones009
2012-11-13 06:51:00 UTC
I have several friends that switched to electronic cigarettes, along with my husband. It's still a habit, but with not cigarette butts around, no dirty ash trays, it's cheaper, and NO FOUL ODOR, i'm very pleased with it and so are they. I only know one person that had an issue with using the E-cigarettes, because he has lung problems and felt like he was gagging on the vapor. Maybe he even had a faulty one that let out too much or something. Definitely worth trying for a smoker. You can even ease off the strength of the nicotine to step yourself down gradually from the e-cigarettes.
Florida
2012-11-13 06:18:23 UTC
The best way to quit smoking is never to start it :)

http://www.smokerjim.net/
Nathan
2012-11-13 06:17:18 UTC
I just quit a week ago went cold turkey 1st time ever trying to quit too. But these are some things that helped me to quit.

-Took alot of nap's.

-Threw everything cigarette related out [to where i could not just go get it].

-Give yourself a alternative to smoking. Gum and not that nicotine gum stuff just normal gum cause you don't want to remind yourself of smoking.

In my opinion the reason people fail at quitting smoking is because that is the only thing on there mind go out and do something don't just sit there and be thinking about how bad quitting is it's all about keeping your mind off smoking.

You can do it!
DonnieB
2012-11-13 06:14:19 UTC
I personally chewed toothpicks for 2 weeks. That did it for me. I have done some modest research and found that each of the many different methods success rate is about the same. You gotta do what works for you.

Just a side note, I quit 37 years ago this month. You can do it!
2012-11-13 06:05:53 UTC
E-cigs might work for some people, but I quit by switching to a pipe, and then weaned myself off of it.

They taste better, you have more varieties of tobacco, none of the chemicals that cigs have in the tobacco and paper to make them burn even and smooth, and it takes more effort to pack one, get it lit, etc. than it does to whip out a cig and light it.

Get a pipe and some tobacco, and keep a few loose cigs out someplace where they will get nice and stale. Try to go at least a week or so, then make yourself smoke 2-3 of the stale cigs and you won't ever want to look at another one again.
?
2012-11-13 05:56:15 UTC
This is how my mum stopped smoking.

My mum got a Nicotine inhaler from her doctor but she still smoked but less then 10 cigarettes. But then it went down to 3 cigarettes then 2 then 1 then she gave up smoking for good.

My mum use to smoke a pack of cigarettes aday maybe 2 sometimes. She went down to less then 10 cigarettes when she first got the Nicotine inhaler and then gave up smoking for good.

She still had the Nicotine inhaler for abit. But after a while she gave up the Nicotine inhaler and didn't go back to smoking.

My mum has stopped smoking for 5 years and hasn't once tried to start smoking again.

Well done to my mum and all the people out there that have given up smoking. Also well done to the people who are trying to give up smoking! :D
2012-11-13 05:40:57 UTC
go to the clinic if in the uk tell the truth how many you smoke per day

with the 24 hr extra strong patches and the lozenges I had no trouble

in stopping and have now been a non smoker for 7 years

this was after attempting to stop 17 times on my own and smoking 45

cigs per day.but there is just one thing be true to yourself ask yourself

one question do I really want to stop.
?
2012-11-13 05:24:47 UTC
To eat the the candy instead of the a cigarette.For a few time,you will felt you forget the cigarettes.
Diaa
2012-11-13 04:38:32 UTC
may be electric cigarette help you
2012-11-13 04:33:55 UTC
Know that no one is born having to smoke, if you are concerned about how to deal with the nervousness of a nic fit, just think to yourself what a non smoker would do. Quiting smoking is a life long deal. Imagine yourself on your deathbed and not with a cig at that. It's dedication.
Nox Ares
2012-11-13 04:23:40 UTC
each week or every other day,try to lessen the times you smoke and how much you smoke
2012-11-13 03:42:48 UTC
The best way to quit smoking is to force yourself to become active. I smoked a pack a day for 4 years, to quit I started to make myself RUN. Not jog or walk, but RUN. If you smoke, running isn't going to be easy AT ALL. I threw up a lot, had really bad headaches, etc. If you're not feeling really really bad afterwards it means you weren't running hard enough, because a smoker cannot run and you're going to force yourself to. The more in shape I got, the less cigarettes felt good. Eventually (months) I got to a point where smoking felt kinda bad, I started getting headaches and feeling sick after I smoked instead of after my run. This meant that my body was getting healthy and reacting in the proper way to inhalation of poisonous smoke. Its the only way I've been able to quit. When I stop running the urge to smoke returns. I've had "relapses", if you can call them that, but only because I got lazy and didn't go running for a few days in a row. Trust me, a healthy body doesn't crave cigarettes. My mind still wanted them, but when I smoked it just didn't feel the same. It was like I was craving something that didn't exist anymore.
Justme(:
2012-11-13 03:25:10 UTC
The e-cigs didn't work for me, just made me want the real thing more..
2012-11-13 03:04:10 UTC
Electronic Cigarettes are a great way to quit smoking - they not only provide you with the nicotine that your body craves (you can buy no nicotine e liquid if required) but they also do not contain the thousands of harmful chemicals that regular cigarettes do. By mimicking the smoking experience these electronic equivalents easily integrate into your previous smoking routine and provide the user with a near identical smoking experience.

Other ways to quit smoking include:

1) Drinking lots of water

2) Every time you get an urge to smoke eat an apple

3) NRT - Nicotine Replacement Therapy. These include medication, nicotine patches, nicotine gum and even nasal spray.

4) Meditation

5) Hypnosis

6) Cold Turkey (By far the hardest method)

7) Quit smoking materials - Alan Carrs book is supposed to be really good

There are plenty of ways for a smoker to quit, but the important note to make is that there is no quick fix or single best method. Each and every person who is trying to quit will find different ways work best for themselves. The important thing is to have the right frame of mind and actually want to quit as if you are not 100% committed then you will most likely end up back on the cigarettes.
Lisa
2012-11-13 02:23:22 UTC
stay away from smokers,chew gum or candy to sub.. for cigs.and do a little research.
2012-11-13 00:46:10 UTC
I think It could help as long as the person really does want to give it up also if they really want to give it up hypnotherapy also helps
2012-11-13 00:37:51 UTC
Smoking is bad for you" isn't good enough.It's very common to have a relapse. Many smokers try several times before giving up cigarettes for good. Examine the emotions and circumstances that lead to your relapse. Use it as an opportunity to reaffirm your commitment to quitting. Once you've made the decision to try again, set a "quit date" within the next month.
?
2012-11-13 00:04:31 UTC
replace it for another one, try meditate that helps anxiety .
2012-11-13 00:02:04 UTC
1 to spread awareness we could start programs

2 send the person for counselling

3 cold turkey works but some people find it difficult
messian
2012-11-13 07:38:44 UTC
giving world of tank acount away user name wotgpepsi@yahoo.com pass 5769622
Andrew-Smith
2012-11-13 07:22:09 UTC
Eh...you're going to die anyway, enjoy a smoke.
Seadude93
2012-11-13 07:21:57 UTC
Just tell yourself I'm not going to smoke as much and start counting down how much you smoke a day then a week then a month. Whenever you have the urge to smoke use something else instead. Or play a video game like Warcraft that makes it so you have less time to smoke.

Oh and chewing strong minted gum helps if you are addicted to Newport
Faggoter
2012-11-13 07:18:51 UTC
step 1: take da smokes

step 2: stick da smokes in da butt hole

step 3: light the smoks

step 4: let it burn

step 5: die
Mine
2012-11-13 07:17:41 UTC
How about this. throw out the cigs all of them. remove ash trays or anything like an ash tray. Stay away frfom alchahol. Stay inside away from people who smoke and Play some games or do work from home or somethin like that. look in the mirror whe you smoke and say "i'm tired of seeing this you disgusting freak" because thats what your becoming when you smoke.
Brooklyn
2012-11-13 07:04:22 UTC
if you smoke mentols then take a peice of paper and spread toothpaste on it then roll it up. put it in your more and suck. it works
Paul_18
2012-11-13 06:26:02 UTC
It is the other way down for me. I want to smoke badly but at the same time I don't want to put my health in risk. I am planning to start e-smoking. Safe but fun!
2012-11-13 06:14:22 UTC
Deciding to quit is the first thing one must do. Once you have t-r-u-l-y decided to quit, you are half the way there. IT is my belief that it is not so much the chemical addiction that is hard to break.... it is the h-a-b-i-t that is the hardest to overcome. Nicotine is out of your system in about three days. The true battle is the triggers.... those "habit" cigarettes. You know.... the one right after eating, the one with your morning coffee, when you get into the car. THOSE are habits, and the urge at those times is immense. This is the battleground... and it is where people will fall. One of the things that worked for me was to do things differently. I drank my coffee in the car while driving instead of drinking it at the table. When I would want a cigarette, I would run, or do some physical activity. I used gum too, in place of food. I did not wish to trade one addiction for another. I used a desire to gain health too. I researched out what lifestyle eating plan I would do, and focused on that. I spent time meal planning, and actually journaled each day... a food log, along with a brief writing about my day... what my triggers were, how strong they were, etc. I kept my thoughts strong. what I mean by that is that I gave myself positive thoughts. I told myself how much better my skin would look, how my breath would smell great, how much money I was saving, how easy it was, how strong I am to not allow a cigarette to run my life. I know this sounds funny, but when an urge came that felt overpowering, I would yell " NO!!" at the top of my lungs. For some reason, that worked great. I kept the knowledge that the urge would go away soon, and I would find something to do to occupy myself until the urge was gone. I put money into a jar for each pack of cigarettes I did not buy, and one month out, I had enough money to do something like go to a concert. I would reward myself and find a way to spent that money as a reward to myself.

Most people do not know that their thoughts can be changed, and that a thought has no power unless you give it attention. Do not allow those thoughts of " I want a cigarette!" to dominate. Keep repeating over and over that you are a nonsmoker. Keep telling yourself that you are bigger than this, and that you have total control over your life... not a pack of cigs. It can be done, and it is not hard. The battlefield is the mind. Once you have figured out how to tame those thoughts, you have won.
?
2012-11-13 05:31:36 UTC
You can't quit smoking cold turkey, so I would suggest that you just try cutting down on cigarettes at first. After a little while, you could try chewing gum. I hear that gum calms peoples cravings, and makes them less irritable.
?
2012-11-13 05:02:02 UTC
Just don't do it. It's a disgusting habit that shortens your life and makes someone look like scum.
Jiveland
2012-11-13 03:59:58 UTC
I have done lots of things by the sign of the moon. Gardens, etc. When I wanted to quit smoking (three packs a day!) I remembered that the old farmers used to wean their calves during the second day of Sagittarius on the almanac calendar. Once a month the moon is in that phase for two or three days. I scheduled myself to quit smoking during that time. It worked. Look up in the almanac and on the second day of Sagittarius - QUIT! You can do this!
Jason
2012-11-13 03:07:53 UTC
smoke weed
Khaye
2012-11-13 02:58:46 UTC
Just Buy Electric Cigarette. If You Want To Higher Level, Always Eat Candy Or Foods. :)
Edward N
2012-11-13 01:44:03 UTC
I am 74 years old, began smoking in the Army at age 21. Have attempted to quit many times with limited success. I think I may have gone about 10 days once before relapsing. As time went by I became convinced that I would never be able to quit, but could at least smoke milder cigarettes, which I did for the last 10 or so years. My wife and I share very similar smoking habits, except that she never opted for less than "full flavor".

On New Years Day 2010 we decided to try the new ecigs being sold by Fuma. Because I had already weened myself away from full flavored tobacco, I was able to satisfy my habit with "Lite" version of the ecig while my wife continued with the stronger. Sinse that time neither of us has burned tobacco. She still uses the ecig, full flavored product and I quit entirely after using them for about a year. We both enjoy being able to breath easier and the coughing we were subject to before went away within a couple of weeks of switching to ecigs. I highly endorse ecigs, either as an option to continue using nicotine as in my wifes case, or as a totally painless way to stop smoking altogether as in my case. It is really hard to believe I am no longer a smoker after 50 years, but happily, it is true.
2012-11-13 01:35:27 UTC
Find somebody else who smokes and wants to give up as badly as you do. Best if this person is a spouse/partner/lover with whom there is a competitive element that leads to niggle. Annoy each other about it, wind each other up over it and ride that energy to be stronger than the addiction.

You cannot possibly let him/her beat you in that process, nor can you listen to their self righteous crowing that they have stopped and you haven't.

When you do stop for a while, go on about it. Tell a lot of people about it even if only a few weeks off the weed. Shout about it from the rooftops and that makes it even more difficult to go back.

Remember in the end, nothing worse (or is it better ?) than a reformed smoker.
xXSixZee
2012-11-13 00:58:14 UTC
eat sunflower seeds and drink lots of water and buy a vapor smokes it helped me quit
GibBas
2012-11-13 00:44:37 UTC
I'm not a smoker, (quit years ago), but in my opinion the best way is to use what's called a pipe and you "phase" steam into your mouth. This steam is either nicotine filled, (it comes in various strengths from 24, strong nicotine flavour, then 18, then 11 and then 0), and you can get flavoured liquids to fill the pipe with. Everyone of my acquaintance has stopped smoking instantly with this, including my wife who's smoked for decades. They do work and they enable people to actually quit smoking, seemingly effortlessly.
100%
2012-11-13 00:38:24 UTC
The way I quit was by working out. I just became addicted to gaining muscle mass and getting on top of my game! The first few weeks was immensely difficult! Whenever I had a craving I would simply GIVE UP to pack of turkish royals. However, I didn't give up, instead I worked profusely on my gains. I would punish myself by doing 10 push ups whenever I wanted to smoke. Further, I began to run long distances, even joining marathons and pushing myself to the limit. It sound a little cheesy, but I found a new addiction, LIFE! I haven't had a craving nor touched a cigarette for almost 3 years.

Quitting smoking is deff. not easy. I struggled every single day, every hour for 5 months to quit. It's a bit funny, but whenever that craving comes in, bring in your creative side and just picture that craving as whatever you want and picture yourself just overpowering it with your imagination ;)

Never think something is impossible. Never think tomorrow I will quit. It is about today.
green_lantern66
2012-11-13 00:34:23 UTC
I switched to an electronic cigarette. It's got the nicotine, sure, but it doesn't have the $hit that will kill you... the carbon monoxide, tar, etc. When you exhale, it's the same vapor that fog machines put out, so that means they're safe for those around you, as well. My last cigarette was 9-29-11; I feel 100 times better than I did when I was smoking a pack a day. I'm saving money, to boot!

For those that don't know, here's what's in ecig "juice":

Nicotine, in either a propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, or 50-50 PG/VG base

Propylene glycol

Vegetabel glycerine

Note: the amounts of each are dependent on the individual's preference; more PG gives a stronger "throat hit" (simulation of cigarette smoke on back of throat); more VG gives a little more taste and more vapor)

Flavorings. The same ones you buy to put in rock candy. Some examples include The Flavor Apprentice and LorAnn's.

Some people also like to add Ethyl Maltol, or some other sweetener (like Splenda); there are also citric acid, caffeine (though even I don't know why, but some people like it) and other additives.

To simulate "true" tobacco flavor, some people will steep tobacco leaves. I'm not familiar with the process myself, but there are individuals that can do it with great success.

I've tried chewing tobacco, cold turkey, the gum and the lozenges in my past endeavors to quit smoking. The ecig (we also call them PV/APV, Personal Vaporizers/Advanced Personal Vaporizers) has been the one thing that has allowed me to go longer than 3 months.
2012-11-13 07:25:27 UTC
I've known people to just put em down throw em away and never pick em up again. But my grandfather used Chantix and it worked for him. Also some ppl use those electronic cigarettes instead of real ones and also I have seen ppl use a straw or something else round like that like a pencil or something and just hold it in their mouth just to go along with the habit of having the cigarette in their mouth therefore preventing them from smoking.
2012-11-13 04:07:17 UTC
don't lost the hope
2012-11-13 07:15:05 UTC
I just take medication that helps contrtibute to help stop smoking. buproprion
Cougar
2012-11-12 17:37:12 UTC
Regular exercise for 21 days before you quit, & you will want to quit. but you gotta dedicate to 4 days a week of 90 minutes, at least.

Your body strives to preserve its life & once you start improving your cardio vascular health, smoking a lot will seem counter productive & stupid!

E cigs are good for airplane rides & such.
?
2012-11-12 15:19:49 UTC
If you stop smoking you will live longer and you get to see the next Halley's Comet in July 28, 2061
jessilmills
2012-11-13 05:01:00 UTC
Hard candy, gum, and telling yourself you are stronger than the cig!
wgr88
2012-11-12 15:35:35 UTC
i use to smoke and The Lord showed me how do stop. if you are a follower of Jesus Christ this will work every time you want to smoke cry out unto The Lord like Peter did "Lord save me" that cry of help gave me the power to not smoke sometimes its a moment by moment fight but "with Jesus" you can win it worked for me and Matthew 1:23 Jesus is God with us instead of like peter looking at your Habit [problem like peter looking away from Jesus onto the water] keep your eyes instead on Jesus.
Brianna
2012-11-12 22:01:00 UTC
Chewing gum or chewing beef jerky helped my family member stop. It keeps your mouth busy
Meg_meg179
2012-11-12 17:48:23 UTC
You should eat something dry like pretzels. Its supposedly gets rid of the urge a little.
vladas
2012-11-13 10:21:15 UTC
TIP! JUST READ THE WONDERFUL TIP NOW I DONT SMOKE!

Tip: Dont start smoking.
2012-11-13 08:42:24 UTC
There are so many ways to get laser therapy and stuff to stop. So many radio commercials
Roger Halls
2012-11-12 20:49:55 UTC
Tip: Smoke weed. It's healthier. :)
Gone
2012-11-12 18:26:56 UTC
Just make a decision and put em down.

Sunflower seeds
Crystal
2012-11-12 17:51:29 UTC
Get anything cinnamon flavored to keep in your mouth! I'm an ex smoker and it does help. Good luck!
?
2012-11-12 18:03:15 UTC
Don't be fooled..your advertising..not asking a question how much $$$ are the e-cig people paying you ?
sk
2012-11-12 15:01:57 UTC
I strongly recommend Nicotine replacement therapy - particularly nicotine lozenges and e-cigarettes
Aden
2012-11-12 14:30:54 UTC
eat the cigarette instead of smoking it, a full proof plan. well, i think
born at freedmans
2012-11-12 16:18:40 UTC
Ask your doctor for help. Most important, don't ever give up trying to quit.
?
2012-11-12 17:55:27 UTC
For sure! They helped my Friend. Chewing gum and sunflower seeds helped me. I needed to keep my hand to mouth fixation going.
Yogi
2012-11-12 16:04:51 UTC
My dad went in for a check up and they told him that his lungs were making so much racket they couldn't heat his heart. So he stopped cold turkey.
Laura
2012-11-13 01:21:29 UTC
suck lollypops instead of smoking my friend did it and she managed to give them u or eat chocolate every time you want a smoke a and yes they do have chemical,wich lead to lung cancer and other disesas
2012-11-12 18:00:16 UTC
those gum things that have nicotine in them!! i don't know from personal experience. never smoked, i'm only 14, but they seem like they would work!
?
2012-11-12 22:52:48 UTC
I know many people who stopped smoking and they use to suck on candies and they gain weight, but they stopped smoking, but then had another problem.
Brandon Smith
2012-11-13 09:22:10 UTC
when i cant get a cigarette i find a straw or something to chew on or gum to keep my mind off of it
mtnglo
2012-11-12 13:58:31 UTC
I had to change a lot of my daily habits. I stopped drinking coffee until my body got used to the lack of nicotine. I switched to apple juice, which of course is healthier anyway. Drink a lot of water. Get rid of everything that reminds you of smoking: all of your cigarettes, ash trays, lighters, etc. Find a support group. I used quitnet.com. Exercise. Pray, if you are a believer. That was my biggest strength of all. Nicorette gum helped me. Talk to your doctor. Go to places where smoking is prohibited, libraries, shopping malls, etc. I hate to say this one, but avoid friends and even family members who smoke while you are just making your attempt. Try not to smoke even one, but if you do, forgive yourself, and go back to your quit. Put the money you would have spent on cigarettes in a jar. If you smoked a pack a day, you should have about $150 in your jar at the end of the month.Buy yourself a gift. None of what I have said is new. We all know these things. Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.
abdul
2012-11-12 15:27:52 UTC
Well a way to stop is to use nicotine gum and family support the more support the easier it is.
Justin
2012-11-12 16:58:54 UTC
Smoke weed .
james r
2012-11-12 15:10:15 UTC
i'm unfortunately a smoker, but i've heard good things about the carr easyway book
1lilbaby3
2012-11-12 21:15:50 UTC
quit cold turkey, the patch or just slowing down...
?
2012-11-12 15:13:58 UTC
Meditation. It helped me get off caffeine. I know it's not as hard to get off caffeine, but I still think it helped to take the edge off.
Jack
2012-11-12 23:16:52 UTC
A high self-esteem.
2012-11-12 16:01:56 UTC
to find a better habit other than smoking
MaRyAm
2012-11-12 13:33:51 UTC
i think that might be good.

and i think U should have someone who watch you 24/7 , and don't let U smoke. and if U want to smoke just distract U and amuse U with sth else.

hope U will be succeed :)
andresfelipe r
2012-11-13 09:27:49 UTC
Don't know
Mel = )
2012-11-12 14:39:09 UTC
tell them that for every cigarette they smoke, they die 10 minutes earlier, soooo, say for example, 437609367 cigarettes times 10 minutes = too much of your life taken away.
Andrew S Calm before the storm
2012-11-12 13:49:30 UTC
A smoker should vow to throw his or her computer into the garbage (and not take it out) every time he or she lights up a cigarette. After the first one goes in, most smokers will not light up again.
?
2012-11-13 11:25:59 UTC
use nicorette..and u can be your friends or with ur lovings ,to keep u distracted.take meditation.main thing is dont hesitate on others help.
?
2012-11-13 08:21:05 UTC
gum helps apparently
Adam
2012-11-13 08:36:46 UTC
Keep smoking you dumbass
?
2012-11-12 19:41:34 UTC
Stop buyuing the cancer sticks and don't borrow them from others.
mylife97
2012-11-12 17:33:28 UTC
chantex, nicotine patches, gum chewing, nicorette gum, chewing on tooth picks
2012-11-12 16:31:20 UTC
watch the movie "the insider" with russ crowe
Google
2012-11-12 14:02:27 UTC
If somebody really wants to quit smoking then they have to really put effort into it.
Swift
2012-11-12 21:15:42 UTC
Grab a straw put tape in one side of it then put water to fill up a bit of it now put it in your mouth as if you were smoking------------------------------- if it spills it means you peed in your pants lol
victoria
2012-11-12 15:45:06 UTC
eat a lot of cold turckey
Turbo T
2012-11-12 13:13:31 UTC
Only smoke when I drink..

Currently on 12 pints two bacardi and a double whisky on the rocks before bed.lol
13 year old Unorthodox
2012-11-12 15:21:17 UTC
They stop smoking when they kick the bucket due to smoking.
like to know56
2012-11-13 11:19:31 UTC
never listen Cameron or his mates
?
2012-11-12 22:36:18 UTC
emm,chew sweet and fruits might help
evangelist_4christ@yahoo.com
2012-11-12 19:35:43 UTC
ok. i did pray. and. jesus did answer me. and,. i give them. up. yes .it did work. for me. and. it will work. for you to. pray . you will see. jesus will do it for us all. i pray i did help. you to day,. 11\12\2012. god bless.
Jack Dupp
2012-11-12 20:00:07 UTC
don't buy cigs, don't hang with people who smoke
Nicolle C
2012-11-12 15:34:41 UTC
Keep your mind occupied . Dont think that you need one . Get a new addiction ?
?
2012-11-12 17:55:17 UTC
If you think in your heart than possible.
2014-02-19 22:55:46 UTC
Yes . e cig works a lot. i bought it from here

http://smokerelief.co.uk/
2012-11-12 14:04:48 UTC
Nicotine patches can help.
?
2012-11-12 16:27:35 UTC
Switch from cigarets to marijuana... Then stop from there... Simple
Saor Alba
2012-11-12 13:36:16 UTC
We've had them here for a very long time...

The best way is to just stop. Sheer will power. Those who can't stop aren't trying hard enough.
Dennis
2012-11-12 16:29:21 UTC
send that person to rehab thats all u can do u know
2012-11-12 16:06:58 UTC
Just stop doing it..
Anna
2012-11-12 18:08:53 UTC
dont buy more cigarettes
SexyBeastWaffle触
2012-11-12 17:47:27 UTC
Smoke more, til theres no more :]
Xtreme
2012-11-12 16:29:31 UTC
"for every cigarette there is a nicorette"

Give nicorette a try :)

Please dont smoke :) Stay healthy
2012-11-12 21:59:21 UTC
niccorette
Cody Jones
2012-11-12 14:14:12 UTC
Chewing Rusty Nails for exactly 43 seconds every hour except 3:00 a.m. because if you do it then you will summon chuck norris
Jess
2012-11-12 13:34:21 UTC
Eat kitkats like cigarettes or just go cold turkey and stop being a pussy
?
2012-11-12 13:26:05 UTC
have been on e.fags for about 6 months -find them just as addictive -but supposedly less harmful ?
?
2012-11-12 18:29:06 UTC
I don't know
Katarina
2012-11-12 17:18:21 UTC
BLACK COFFEE
711909
2012-11-12 13:10:44 UTC
its all in your head
?
2012-11-12 13:00:00 UTC
Die...once that happened to my grandfather he never smoked again...well,he did during cremation !